Monday, March 2, 2009

A Lesson in Happiness

Here are the promised tours of campus and my flat...
Welcome to Mac Uni!

My walk to campus :-)

The Lake.

Some of the resident cockatoos.
They make the worst sound known to man, it sounds like someone's being stabbed!

The brand new train at Mac.  It opened the week I arrived!

Our spacious kitchen.

The HUGE living room.  

Balcony.

Entrance to my room.

My place.

A bathroom all my own!

Home.

I live here!

The pool at Marsfield Gardens.

I stumbled across this quote this week and it gave me a whole new and much needed outlook on this experience and on the future…

“Happiness is a journey, not a destination. For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life, but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.” 
-Souza

Happiness has been a concept that I have often struggled with.  It has always seemed like such a transient and elusive concept to me.  Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t that I haven’t found happiness in my life, it’s just that I constantly question and interpret it.  I have always questioned whether it is really a tangible force or whether it is a part of life that floats in and out of our lives like a whisper, often unnoticed.  After many discussions with friends who urged me toward finding happiness while on this journey, I realized that I was looking for something that was constantly around me.  I was searching for something that is invisible to the uninformed eye.   I was searching for a feeling that would only outrun me if I chased it.  I was searching for something that I wanted to be impossibly obvious, but this want only set me up for failure.  I needed to learn a very important lesson.  I needed to learn that happiness is in every child’s smile, every blooming flower, every laugh, every friendship, every adventure, every risk, every move I make has the potential to bring me happiness.  I don’t need to wait around or try to chase down some sort of extraordinary life because it has been right beside me all along, waiting to be realized.  I have now stared it straight down and recognized the gift I’ve been given.  I have welcomed happiness along with all the various facets that make it up, both the good and the bad, into my life and I have my Australian experiences thus far to thank for such realizations.

This past week has been one of peaks and valleys.  When something went right, another thing went wrong.  I was constantly reminded of the saying, “don’t sweat the small stuff.”  It was sometimes hard to remember when life was frustrating, but in the end, it was definitely the right mindset to have.

Most of these ups and downs have been caused by silly school related drama.  I had the perfect timetable (schedule) figured out at the beginning of the week, but now at the beginning of week two, it has changed at least 10 times!  AHHHH!  I was ready to quit on the stupid thing more than once.  After over a week of drama over the silly but necessary element of school, I finally have things sorted.  I only have class 3 days a week, which means… 4 day weekends!!!  My schedule is kind of amazing so I have no reason to complain.  

Monday: Spanish 2-4

Tuesday: Creativity 6-8

Wednesday: Spanish 9-11, Psych 11-1 (every other week!), and Psych 3-5

The creativity course is by far my favorite!  It is in the early childhood development centre and is so much fun.  I spent the first week dancing and singing children’s songs.  We got to play with musical instruments and I rocked out on the tambourine.  We also rewrote the words to various children’s songs, my group worked on “I’m a Little Teapot.” Please enjoy…

“When I go to kindy, I find my friends,

I dig in the sandpit, again and again,

I make a big castle, but then it falls,

Ooo, I might go play with the balls.”

It’s good, I know!  Now you have to understand that this is a legitimate class.  I get to act, dance, sing, and paint for the whole of the semester and get credit for it.  I will even be choreographing a dance along the way.  The class could not be more perfect for me!!!

Classes started here at Mac Uni this past Monday.  I only had one class on Monday, Spanish (we won’t even talk about how wonderful this class is….uggghhh), so I spent most of the day exploring.  Australian Unis have a wonderful first week called “O-Week” in which every club/organization in the whole of the Uni is out advertising along with various community groups and businesses.  After about 15 minutes I had already racked up free water, food, lollies (candy), itunes giftcards, coupons, as well as all kinds of other fun stuff!  I also joined a few clubs.  I am now a member of Dramac, the drama society on campus, and MacMS, the musical theatre society.  Not only did I join these two groups, but I also auditioned for them both!  I auditioned for the 1.5 spot that Dramac is putting on at the end of March, consisting of 4 short plays as well as for Caberet which MacMS is putting on in mid-May.  It was great to get back into some acting.  After a year and a half away from the theatre, I was ready to get back.  The auditions were SO much fun.  Everyone in both societies is really welcoming and friendly. I also went to both of the group’s welcome picnics this past weekend which was a great way to meet everyone and score FREE and authentically Aussie food!

I went to the beach twice this week!  Both times I went to Manly Beach, North of the city.  I went solo on Tuesday and with Abby on Saturday.  It is a  really cute little beach town with gorgeous sand, water, and views.  The beach has the ability to recharge my battery instantly.  There is some strange connection the moment I stick my toes in the sand and stare out over the waves toward the horizon.  The world makes sense again, no matter what is happening in my world.  I think that is a pretty amazing thing.  I am very thankful to have a place of such complete and utter serenity less than two hours away from me.  

On the ferry going to Manly.

Manly Beach Day 1.

Manly Beach Day 2.

I also went to a movie in the park this weekend.  My friend Kim from Boston cooked dinner for Carly, Danny, Matt, and I before we headed over to a park in the next suburb over to watch Casablanca at sunset.  It was so much fun!  They even had “bum boxes” for us to sit on.  These are probably my new favorite invention.  They are cardboard boxes cut into the shape of a chair that sits on the ground and you can lean back on.  Needless to say, life doesn’t get much better than Casablanca in a park in Australia with good friends and a bum box to keep your bum dry J

Before the movie started. 

Carly, Kim, and Julie at Casablanca. 

The weekend finished off nicely with a trip to the city for another dance class at Sydney Dance Co.  I took another lyrical class and had a blast.  The two hours of movement completely rejuvenated me for the week ahead.

Stretching in my sanctuary. 

Wharf #4.  This is where I take dance class!  
The Harbour Bridge is just to the right.

I had a great Monday, getting a letter from home and one from Caitlin in Ohio. Thanks so much for the mail guys, you made my day!  I also got the timetable sorted after switching tutes with a complete stranger through internet, text message, and phone conversations – thanks Sing Lin!  The night finished out with a movie at the Uni Bar complete with free popcorn.  We watched “The Castle” which is described as a truly Aussie film.  It was hilarious and I recommend that you all rent it and get a little taste of the amazing people here!

As you can tell, I’m not having any fun at all.  My current battle is the one to actually try to be a student when so many opportunities are surrounding me.  I honestly have no idea how I will ever get anything done! 

It has been a week of frustrations, uncertainties, excitement, fun, and great revelations.  My world is under constant flux and for the first time in my life I am looking at such extreme change as an extraordinary gift.  I am learning more than I could have ever dreamed about this land that I’m living in as well as about myself.  The dips that I have hit on this high riding adventure have been minute in comparison to everything else.  Why worry about them?  They will come, I know, but they will also go.  I am here to learn and not every moment of that learning can be perfect.  I’m learning to accept and even embrace the imperfections because they are certainly making the ride worthwhile!

I miss you all SO much and I hope that you are all able to look beyond the small stuff in the lives you lead and find the happiness.

Peace, Hope, Love, ect....

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment