Saturday, April 11, 2009

An Aussie Easter

Happy Easter everyone!  I hope that you're all enjoying a healthy dose of chocolates and lollies (candies) as well as the obligatory egg hunt this fine weekend!  This week has been a whirlwind, but a great one!

I started out the week in a mad frenzy to finish out all my work due for the half semester mark.  I was finishing up my paper and studying for two assessments.  No fun :-( I had some serious motivation issues especially while there were so many fun things going on around me.  Long story short, I got it all done.  I pulled a few nights on 2 hours of sleep, but it is all finished now!  Okay, seriously enough with the school stuff, here's the good stufff...

This week I had more Caberet rehearsals which were fun as always.  I also auditioned for another set of Dramac plays.  The show is called 'Godzilla' and consists of 4 short, student written plays.  Steff and I spent our Tuesday afternoon auditioning, but we weren't sure if we'd get in because they had such a great turn out for auditions.  Luckily, we both got in, and we both got mains!  I am playing Johnny in Johnny the Sperm's Adventures in the Vajayjay, haha - I know!  So far I have played some very interesting roles here in Oz...a monkey, a lesbian maid, a call girl, and now a sperm.  It will be a new experience for sure!  Steff is in another play directed by our friend Luke, but she will be making a guest in my show as a giant condom.  Jane, my director from 1.5, is also in the same play as me which means we’ll have plenty of time to goof off as the crazy threesome we are.  I am so excited about this new batch of shows, will be heaps of fun!

After my double test day on Wednesday, I was ready for a fun Thursday and that’s exactly what I got!  I went into the city that morning to meet up with my friend Tara who I worked with at Lindenmere.  She was in Sydney to get her visa to go back to camp for a 3rd year!  We had a great time catching up at a little café in the Queen Victoria Building downtown.  I got to meet her Mom and cousin as well.  We did some fun shop browsing on Pitt St. where all the designer shops are.  After she headed home I stopped off to grab a delicious salad before catching the bus back to Mac.  I ate lunch with Kim at her apartment.  We had a great chat and munched on yummy watermelon as well as the chocolate bunny she got me for Easter.  That night I went back to the city with Abby to see Sydney Dance Co. perform “We Unfold.”  It was absolutely brilliant.  It was an hour of nonstop movement.  The dancers were extraordinary.  I think I actually forgot to breathe a couple of times during the performance because I was so drawn into what was happening on stage.  I was really happy that Abby loved it too!  After the show, which we couldn’t stop raving about, we were walking back to the bus when we realized we would be walked right past Pancakes on the Rocks.  It would have been silly not to stop since we hadn’t had dinner and were both starving so we had a lovely pancake meal!  Delicious as always.

Yay TARA!  

Kim and her lovely chocolate surprise for me :-)

At the Sydney Theatre about to see the show.

Front Row!

My Pancakes. 

Friday was another amazing day.  Abby, Kim, Steff, and I went to the Royal Easter Show at Sydney Olympic Park.  Steff was our tour guide and we were her annoying, gawking, picture taking sidekicks.  We had such a wonderful day.  We checked out the world bazaar, the animals, the food pavilion, the art pavilion, the rides, but honestly, we mostly checked out all the free food samples!  It was so much fun.  I really felt like a little kid again.  It was the most amazing spectacle.  Everything was executed so perfectly and spread out over such a massive area.  It is amazing that this show isn’t a permanent thing instead of something that only runs for 2 weeks for the amount of effort that goes into its setup and run.  After we had thoroughly exhausted our feet and our stomachs, we made the trek back home.  At the train station Steff and I said our goodbyes to Abby and Kim as we headed off to Jane’s house for a BBQ.  We had a great time there too!  There were lots of Dramac people there.  We ate some more delicious food and danced around Jane’s courtyard before calling it a night and heading back to Steff’s place since the train back to Mac had already stopped running.  We had a lovely little sleepover, somehow managing to keep ourselves awake until 3:30 am despite our exhaustion!  

Pretty Ladies.

A girl and her Fairy Floss.

I have the best roommate.

The ginormous ferris wheel.

A goat pageant, ha.

My favorite little piggy. 

They're bad.

A favorite photo.

If you look closely, my friends are the animals.

Obviously, this was our favorite pavilion.  

A little gelato eating.

Amazing.

Kim was teasing Steff about her showbag!

Playing in the fountain at Olympic Park.

Entertaining ourselves while waiting for the train.

Sue, Phill, and Steff at Jane's BBQ

Jane and me :-)

My Lovely Sperm Director - Sue!

This morning, Steff’s Mom woke us up so that Steff could get to work on time.  It was so nice to be in a regular house with a Mom.  There’s just something so comforting in it.  It was even nicer when she cooked me a homemade brekky and drove me to the train station so I wouldn’t have to take a bus to get home.  Steff and her Mom are so sweet to me, and I feel so lucky to get to hang out with such an amazing family while I’m here.  They’re the greatest!  

The Brekky that Steff's Mom cooked for me!

Steff, Mom, and Cherokee! 

Tonight I’m finishing things up before my big adventure starts tomorrow.  I will leave Sydney bound for Melbourne where I’ll stay with my friend from camp, Alex.  After our 5 day adventure I’m off to Perth for a safari up the Western Australia coastline to Exmouth.  After a few more days in Perth I head to Adelaide for a visit with my friend Bec who I also met at camp, then it’ll be back home.  I am so incredibly excited about this new journey.  It’s the perfect way to break up the semester.  I don’t know what to expect at all but I think that is half the fun.  We’ll see where the road takes me in the next 2 weeks and I’ll report it all as soon as I’m back.  Until then know that I’m sending endless love to all of you.

Peace,

Anna

1 comment:

  1. I love how the majority of your stories/adventures are about food! It makes my heart smile

    ReplyDelete