Sunday, February 1, 2009

Goodbye Gong :-(

Sorry it's taken so long to write...internet has been even harder to find than it was in Gong since leaving...But, here's an update on my last week at summer school...

The group in the "Ut" on field study.

After all this kind of fun on our field study, we had one week left to enjoy Wollongong. Unfortunately, too much of that time seemed to be filled with homework and class. We had a 10 page research paper due as well as a 30 minute presentation all within the last few days. I wrote my paper on the apology recently issued by the prime minister to the aborigines stolen generations who were children taken away from their families by the state - the practice went on for over 100 years. I worked with my friend Deanna on a presentation covering two of the regions we visited, Murramurang and Gulaga. Well now that all that silly school info is out of the way...it is important to remember that we also had A LOT of fun our last week!

One of my favorite moments was waking up with my friends Taylor and Tracy to walk to the beach at 5 am to see the sunrise over the ocean. It was a beautiful day with an amazing sunrise. It was just extraordinary. There weren't too many people on the beach, but the ones who were there were completely silent. We sat there for nearly 2 hours snapping hundreds of pictures and appreciating the beauty that was surrounding us. We had the rest of that day as a "study day" which meant that some people went to Sydney while others went to the beach. I was a beach bum for the day and even went swimming in one of the salt water pools that are right on the beach. Who cares about that paper we had to write? They all did eventually get finished.

Let the Sunrising begin...





Fairy Meadow Beach 

We had another free day on Friday and spent the day packing, finishing papers, and enjoying our last day at Fairy Meadow Beach. We also had our fair well dinner on Friday and then went to see the movie "Australia" while in Australia. Christine, our minibus driver and hiking specialist in the field took us all out for drinks and dessert after the movie which was tons of fun. We spent the whole night laughing, just like every other night we were together. The next morning everyone drove away in a limo to the airport early. I got up to wave them off and then got all of my stuff together to head to Sydney!

Tiana and I on our last beach day :-(

WONDERFUL people!

I had 4 bags. 2 rollers, a hiking pack, and a day pack. I carried them all from campus to the train station - not a short walk. It was already 110 degrees when I walked. By the time I got up the huge hill and down the 50 stairs that were the final sprint to the station it was like I had taken a shower I was so gross! I met a lovely couple there while we waited for our train which ended up being 40 minutes late. He was really unhappy about it being late and she was tired of hearing him complain so I mediated. I finally got on my relaxing train ride, but realized I would miss my connecting train. After another 4 hours of travel I arrived in Castle Hill to meet up with my friend from camp this summer, Marian. She had offered me a place to stay and to store my luggage while I travel around with Mom and Dad. I was so happy to see a trunk to put all those bags in! We headed to her house where her family welcomed me so warmly. We had a "cuppa" (cup of tea or coffee) and went out to tea (dinner). The next day we did a bit of shopping and I took the train to the airport...I was NEW ZEALAND bound!

Marian's adorable family :-)

The 3 weeks that I've spent in Oz so far have been amazing. I meet amazing people who I know that I will miss terribly, but am so happy to have had the opportunity to know. I learned a great deal and experienced things that I never dreamed possible. This short course was definitely the perfect introduction to this new adventure that I'm embarking on! I can't wait to see what is to come because if what I've already experienced is any indication, then it will definitely be amazing.


Hope that all is well with everyone at home. I miss you all and send you all my love.  

Will write soon about New Zealand :-)

Peace,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment